[netCDF #ZVD-828686]: compile error cannot compute sizeof (off_t)

Keith,

> > I am attempting to build the netcdf-fortran-4.2 source code. I am
> > receiving the following error.
> >
> > checking size of off_t. configure: error: in
> > /usr/local/src/netcdf-fortran-4.2:
> > configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (off_t) See config.log for
> > more details
> >

> > I've attached the config.log file. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

From config.log:

  configure:19770: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lnetcdf  >&5
  configure:19770: $? = 0
  configure:19770: ./conftest
  ./conftest: error while loading shared libraries: libnetcdf.so.7: cannot open

It looks like you have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the directory where
the netCDF C library is installed, or install it someplace where it will be
found by default, such as /usr/lib.

The link failure might also be due to having an older netCDF library built with
a compiler incompatible with the gcc you're using.

In any case, you might consider instead building a recent version of the netCDF
library first, preferably 4.3.0 but at least 4.2, which was when the C and
Fortran netCDF libraries were separated into independent distributions.  You can
build it with the configure option --disable-netcdf-4 if you just want the
netCDF-3
APIs and formats.  Otherwise, you would also have to get and install HDF5 first.

The instructions for building without and with the netCDF-4 APIs are here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/build_classic.html
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/build_default.html

The instructions for building netCDF Fortran 4.2 and how to tell it where the
netCDF
C library is installed are here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-fortran-install.html

--Russ