[netCDF #INK-865870]: Quick question about NetCDF library v4.1.1 and RH 6.3

Fernando,

> Thank you again for all your comments. I was wondering, just to confirm,
> could it be that the NetCDF 4.1.1 dependency on:
>
> libcurl.so.3
> libc.so.6
> libgcc_s.so.1
>
> make a difference, if the customers version of those libraries are different
> from the one where the code works?

By "different versions" do you mean the shared object version numbers such as
the
"3" in "libcurl.so.3" are different?  In that case, I would expect that IDL
would
get a run-time error that the needed shared library couldn't be found as IDL
was
starting up, not after it had been running successfully for a while.

Assuming the shared object versions all match, those are supposed to guarantee
backward compatibility of the API, but sometimes developers don't follow the
rules
for changing shared object numbers when library interfaces change in ways that
aren't backward compatible.  That seems very unlikely for libraries as widely
used
as the ones you list.

I assume you statically link IDL to netCDF before shipping it or do a shared
link
to the netCDF library you build in an IDL-specific directory, so there should
be
no dependence on any netCDF library the customer has installed, right?

So it doesn't seem to me that the version of shared libraries should be the
cause
of the problem you're seeing, but I may be missing something ...

--Russ

> Thanks again in advance!
> Cheers,
> Fernando