[netCDF #RMQ-116404]: NETCDF install issues

Evan,

> I didn't modify any files. And I have the most current version of
> automake. I just installed 4.2 on a fresh machine and got it going. I
> guess it's just 4.3 that causes issues for me. I am not using a normal
> distribution of Linux, we use a realm distribution from redhat
> specific to NC State. I have a feeling that this is the root issue and
> not netcdf. Is there a log that configure created that I can refer to?
> I want to see if any parts of the configure failed due to a lack of
> permissions. Thanks again for your help!

Thanks for the config.log files.  They don't reveal anything helpful, but
made me think to ask an important question:  Did you get netCDF-4.3.0 from
one of our distribution tarballs:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-4.3.0.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-4.3.0.zip

or did you get the developer version from our SVN repository:

  https://sub.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/trunk/

If you got the developer version, it would not have contained the configure
script or aclocal.m4, and you would have had to run autoreconf to
generate those.  That might explain why you got the message

> WARNING: 'aclocal-1.13' is missing on your system.
> You should only need it if you modified 'acinclude.m4' or
> 'configure.ac' or m4 files included by 'configure.ac'.

You definitely should build from the actual ftp tarball.

Another remote possibility is that you retrieved a bad version of the tarball
that existed on our FTP site for a few hours on May 3, before it was replaced
by a corrected version, and you have been building from that bad tarball.  If
that's the problem, apologies, we didn't think anyone retrieved that
distribution
before we fixed it.

Otherwise, I don't know why you're seeing the error, which we can't reproduce

--Russ

Ticket ID: RMQ-116404
Department: Support netCDF