[netCDF #AJP-260426]: problem with netcode 4.3

Hi Dorina,

> I am trying to install netcdf 4.3.0 on my mac 10.6.8 and I am encountering
> the following problem during the make check step:
>

> /usr/include/unistd.h:117: error: two or more data types in declaration
> specifiers
> make[1]: *** [libdap2_la-daputil.lo] Error 1
> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
>
> Do you have any suggestions on how can I solve that?

We tested netCDF 4.3.0 on MacOS-X 10.8.4, and it worked fine, so we can't
reproduce the
error you are seeing with the later version of MacOS-X.

However, another user has recently reported a similar error that may have
resulted from
building with CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/include, which may have resulted in including
header files
from another third-party software package that interfered with the header files
in /usr/include
provided with the Mac XCode Development system.  You could test this by making
sure you
aren't trying to use header files in /opt/include with libraries installed in
/usr/lib that come
with XCode.

If that doesn't sound like the cause of your problem, and you can't update the
Mac to the latest
XCode development system, we'll need more information to try to diagnose the
problem.  We
don't have a MacOS-X 10.6.8 system to test on, so we'll need at least the
output from your configure
run, the config.log file, and the output from "make all" and "make test".

Another possibility to consider is installing from a Mac package system, such
as fink or macports.org.

--Russ

Ticket ID: AJP-260426
Department: Support netCDF