[netCDF #INK-865870]: Quick question about NetCDF library v4.1.1 and RH 6.3

Fernando,

Oops, please ignore that last answer.  I was thinking you were relying on
a customer netCDF 4.1.1 installation, but I'm sure you were really referring
to a static installation of netCDF 4.1.1 in one of your products.

> > I'm a tech support engineer at Exelis VIS, the company that develops
> > ENVI and IDL here in Boulder.
> >
> > I have a quick question. Is there any known incompatibility between the
> > NetCDF library version 4.1.1 and Red Hat 6.3 (Linux eld467
> > 2.6.32-279.19.1.el6.x86_64).

I've never heard of such an incompatibility, but we actually don't test on
Red Hat Linux here, but just various versions of Fedora between 14 and
18, and haven't encountered any differences that were due to the version
of Fedora.  We also test the same source on various other versions of Linux
and Unix, including Solaris and Mac OS-X.

> > I'm asking this because I have a customer that has created an IDL code
> > to create NetCDF files in a loop, and after some iterations the code
> > crashes when creating the NetCDF file. I have tested the same code with
> > the same NetCDF library version on a Red Hat 6.0 machine, and everything
> > works fine.

We have fixed some memory leaks in more recent versions of netCDF since 4.1.1,
but nothing very serious.  Does the code crash with insufficient memory?  Did a
core dump reveal it was in the netCDF library, and if so, in what function?

--Russ

Ticket ID: INK-865870
Department: Support netCDF