[netCDF #FNQ-357688]: NetCDF Question

Hi Brian,

> One of my engineers has some questions about the NetCDF versions and
> changes from 4.2 to 4.2.1.1. We are working with Harris to build a NWS
> Product Simulator for our FAA Weather and Radar Processor project, that
> uses Java and C to read a series of NetCDF files (GFS and RAP models,
> as well as other products) into a simulator.
>
> We have found changes from 4.2 to 4.2.1.1 that changed some of the
> variables (e.g. "temperature" to "temperature isobaric") and such.
> Below is an excerpt from some of the team's analysis.
>
> Is there a contact at Unidata that we can ping?

The Java and C-based netCDF implementations for are mostly independent,
except that writing netCDF-4 data with netCDF-Java involves the C netCDF-4
library.  Contacts are:

  address@hidden
  address@hidden

The netCDF-Java 4.2 bersion is no longer supported, so for that you want to
use version 4.3.  The name changes you saw (e.g. "temperature" to "temperature
isobaric") are in reading GRIB files, net netCDF files, through the netCDF-Java
API.  There are lots of changes to the way GRIB files are read in 4.3.

The warning message

  WARNING: H5header findNetcdf4DimidAttribute - Missing _Netcdf4Dimid attribute
on /ipAndFilenameAndTimeDim

may be fixed in netCDF-Java 4.3.  If not, please send us the file.

The netCDF-C version 4.2.1.1 is still supported, but we have recently released
version 4.3.0, which has important enhancements and bug fixes:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/blogs/news/entry/netcdf_4_3_0

--Russ

> ~~~~~~
> Not sure how much of this is true.  I spoke to the weather IRAD team
> here about viewing the files.  They told me to use Panoply.  I
> downloaded the tool and was able to open the RR files.   The IRAD team
> said that the java version of the netCDF library is more forgiving than
> the C version.  (I get the following warnings opening the rr files in
> Panoply.  The tool is able to view the data in the files.)
>
> 000000 WARNING: H5header findNetcdf4DimidAttribute - Missing _Netcdf4Dimid
> attribute on /ipAndFilenameAndTimeDim
> 000001 WARNING: H5header findNetcdf4DimidAttribute - Missing _Netcdf4Dimid
> attribute on /DataIngestTimeDim
> 000002 WARNING: H5header findNetcdf4DimidAttribute - Missing _Netcdf4Dimid
> attribute on /ipAndSubsetTimesDim
> 000003 WARNING: H5header findNetcdf4DimidAttribute - Missing _Netcdf4Dimid
> attribute on /DataSubsetTimeDim
>
> I don't see this warning when I open the ncwd files.  Does some kind of
> flag exists that can be set to tell the C library to ignore warning
> messages? Maybe your Unidata contact can tell us how to ignore
> WARNINGS.
>
> The IRAD team also believes we are going to see this problem with WCR
> RI 4.5 version.  They said they don't believe the WCR RI creates the
> files but just copies the files they get to the directory.  I believe
> this is true because on the WINS system I see grib files in the WCR RI
> directories not netCDF files.
>
> So I'm thinking it's the source of the data that is not filling in the
> needed data.  Maybe it can't...who knows.
>
> ~~~~~~
>

> Brian K. Hughes, PMP, ITIL v3  |  Weather Program Manager  |  Federal Systems
>
> Unisys  |  11720 Plaza America Drive  |  Reston, VA 20190  |  703 234 9875 |
> Cell: 443 614 6026
>
> [cid:image001.gif@01CE522C.B10C8730]<http://www.youtube.com/theunisyschannel>
> [cid:image002.gif@01CE522C.B10C8730] <http://www.facebook.com/unisyscorp>
> [cid:image003.gif@01CE522C.B10C8730]