[netCDF #VOG-153523]: netCDF 4 fails to build with HDF4

Mark-

First, the fact that it is failing on ncgen3 is only because
that is the first time that an actual program (as opposed to a
library) is being constructed. So you can ignore that.

I should also note that since libmfhdf and libdf are installed
normally in the same dir as libhdf, you probabably do not
need to be redundant in your env variable.

I think the real problem is the following lines in the ./configure output:
> checking mfhdf.h usability... yes
> checking mfhdf.h presence... yes
> checking for mfhdf.h... yes
> checking for Hclose in -ldf... no
> checking for SDcreate in -lmfhdf... no
the first 3 lines indicate that a superficially
usable libmfhdf and associated mfhdf.h has been found.
However, the last two lines indicate
that there is something wrong with the df and mfhdf
libraries because they are missing symbols expected
for these libraries.

My best guess is that you have an incorrect version
of mfhdf &/or df libraries.
You might try the following.
1. do the command "nm .../libmfhdf.a"
   (where .... is the path to that library)
2. search the output of the nm command to see if
   the symbol SDcreate occurs. If not, then you
   probably have an incorrect version.
=Dennis Heimbigner
  Unidata

Ticket ID: VOG-153523