[netCDF #OWN-203547]: Problem with ncdump

> Hi Russ,
>
> Thanks for your quick response. I am using ncdump,
> HDF Version 4.2 Release 6, June 14, 2011.

OK, that's not Unidata software, it was written by HDF
developers a long time ago to test a netCDF version 2 API
for HDF4 data.  It can't read netCDF-3 or netCDF-4 data,
as far as I know, but only HDF4 data that was written with
the HDF4 API for the netCDF version 2 library.

Maybe Unidata's netCDF-3 or netCDF-4 software has been
installed somewhere else on Janus, with a version of ncdump
intended for reading netCDF files.  By the way, the ncdump
in our current release (netcdf-4.2.1.1) can read some HDF4
and HDF5 files through the netCDF-3 API, if it's built with
the right configure flags (--enable-hdf4) ...

If you can't find an existing installation, I recommend
building and installing from source, using the latest and
greatest release candidate:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/netcdf-rc/index.jsp

or the current operational release

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/netcdf-4_2_1_1/index.jsp

following the instructions here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/building.html

--Russ

> I am trying to use ncdump on the Janus supercomputer
> at CU, which runs Redhat 5.5 Enterprise.
>
> The name of the file is
> wrfout_d01_2000-01-24_12:00:00. I do not get an
> error message when running cat
> wrfout_d01_2000-01-24_12:00:00. It's 38 MB, so I
> don't think I can send it as an email attachment,
> unfortunately.

Thank you for not attaching that 38GB file!  I've been
dealing with netCDF files that size lately, and they qualify
as BigData on my desktop machine ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: OWN-203547
Department: Support netCDF