[netCDF #FGA-612463]: netcdf for fortran installation

Hi Srinivasa,

> I was trying to install the latest version of netcdf libraries for fortran
> in my laptop which has Ubuntu installed on it. The "make check install"
> command output a  series of error messages which are attached in the log
> file with this mail.
>
> Please let me know if the installation is a success or I missed some
> libraries that needs to be installed.

The error messages indicate that there is a problem with your installation
that is potentially serious, and you shouldn't use it for linking programs
until the problem is fixed.

The problem appears to be that there are two or more different versions of the
HDF5 library installed, and versions that don't match are being found and used
in running some of the tests.  Specifically, the include file headers hdf5_hl.h
and hdf5.h, are for the 1.8.8 version of HDF5, while the installed libraries you
are using are from the 1.8.9 HDF5 version.

This may just be an inconsistency in specifying where the include files are
located (CPPFLAGS=-I/.../include) and the libraries are located
(LDFLAGS=-L/.../lib)
that are set beffore the configure script is run, as described here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/building.html

Those environment variables should point to the same location (where the "..."
specifies).

The error message from the HDF5 library is long but exactly identifies the
problem:

Warning! ***HDF5 library version mismatched error***
The HDF5 header files used to compile this application do not match
the version used by the HDF5 library to which this application is linked.
Data corruption or segmentation faults may occur if the application continues.
This can happen when an application was compiled by one version of HDF5 but
linked with a different version of static or shared HDF5 library.
You should recompile the application or check your shared library related
settings such as 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH'.
You can, at your own risk, disable this warning by setting the environment
variable 'HDF5_DISABLE_VERSION_CHECK' to a value of '1'.
Setting it to 2 or higher will suppress the warning messages totally.
Headers are 1.8.8, library is 1.8.9
            SUMMARY OF THE HDF5 CONFIGURATION

--Russ

Ticket ID: FGA-612463