[netCDF #KLB-596506]: apparent bug in netcdf-4.2

Jim,

> That turns out to have been the problem.   The original file was created
> with pnetcdf.

So now I'm a little confused about the relationship between pnetcdf and netCDF.

Except for pnetcdf's CDF-5 format (64-bit everything), I thought their software
could
read and write both netCDF-3 formats, "classic" and 64-bit offset.  But your
comment
seems to imply that files created with pnetcdf might not be modifiable by our
netCDF
software.  I didn't see any warnings about this limitation in the
parallel-netCDF
documentation, and it seems like a problem that our software can open and try to
write to a pnetcdf file in a way that seems to silently corrupt the variable
offsets in the
file header.

Is this all due to a difference in interpretation of what the v_align parameter
means in
the nc__enddef(ncid, h_minfree, v_align, v_minfree, r_align) function?

--Russ

Ticket ID: KLB-596506
Department: Support netCDF