[netCDF #YPM-575307]: Issues using NetCDF

Hi Rob,

> I'm currently trying to get some ocean modelling software working which
> I have downloaded (NEMO - http://www.nemo-ocean.eu/) that uses NetCDF.
> I've been running into a lot of trouble with it, as I am compiling it.
>
> I am trying to build the model with gfortran using Ubuntu 12.04. The
> 'USE netcdf' commands within the Fortran files are processing without
> errors, but the references to netcdf within the code are giving errors
> such as this:
>
> histcom.f90:(.text+0x203): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_redef'
>
> Am I correct in thinking that this is because the 'netcdf.mod' file that
> I have in my 'usr/includes/' folder is compiled using a different
> compiler to gfortran? If so, what would you recommend that I do? I have
> tried various ways of re-configuring the netcdf files but so far with no
> success.

Yes, using a different Fortran compiler (or in some cases just a different
version of the same Fortran compiler) changes the .mod file format.  You
will either have to use the same compiler that was used to build the netCDF
Fortran library, or rebuild and reinstall the netCDF Fortran library with
the same compiler you're using for your application.

> Also, if it is possible for me to rebuild this, is it just the
> 'netcdf.mod' file in the 'usr/includes/' folder that needs to be replaced?

You would have to rebuild the netCDF Fortran library, but you may be able to
keep using the same netCDF C library that's already installed, depending on
how old the C library version is and whether it was built as a shared library
or not.  Here's the instructions for getting the netCDF Fortran library and
rebuilding it by telling it where the netCDF C library is installed:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-fortran-install.html

If you also need to get and build the netCDF C library, instructions for that
are here, under the "Getting" and "Building" links:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/

--Russ

Ticket ID: YPM-575307
Department: Support netCDF