[netCDF #CSI-776998]: netCDF Fortran90 libs for Windows 7

Good morning Gleb,

> Hello, Unidata team!
>
> I am attempting to bring to life under Windows a piece of software,
> initially developed by my colleague, who works under Linux and uses
> netCDF 4.1.3. The program is written in Fortran 90, so all I had to do
> was to create a Visual Studio project and add its source codes to it. I
> use VS2010 Professional with Intel Fortran Compiler v12.  The only issue
> is to link my program against some netCDF libraries. I have tried every
> netCDF package for Windows I could find (both binaries and sources,
> about a dozen), but none of them worked: some don`t have F90 port, and
> my compiler can`t resolve a lot of externals with others. I am not a
> very skilled programmer, so I don`t actually understand, what is going
> on there.
>
> Could you please suggest a package that would work without any
> considerable efforts?

Starting with netCDF 4.2, the netcdf-fortran and netcdf-C libraries
have been separated into individual packages.  Currently, the only
Windows netcdf-fortran ports available are provided by
Cygwin. As part of their package management system, they provide
the netcdf-c and netcdf-fortran libraries.  The problem with these
libraries is that they are usable only within the Cygwin environment;
mixing libraries between Visual Studio and Cygwin is problematic
at best.

We are working on porting the latest Fortran libraries to Windows,
using Kitware's CMake system.  The same approach was used to
port the netCDF 4.2.1.1 C libraries to Windows for use with
Visual Studio.  These C libraries are available from:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/win_netcdf/

Anecdotally, we have heard from users who have been able to get
the Fortran code to compile in Windows using these C libraries,
but I am not sure how, exactly.  The fortran source code may be
downloaded from:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/netcdf-fortran/index.jsp

We don't have a time frame for the next Fortran release, but I am
hopeful it will be sooner than later.

I hope this information helps; have a great day,

-Ward

> Or should I better wait until a new Windows port is released?
>
> Any advice is very much appreciated.

Ticket ID: CSI-776998
Department: Support netCDF