[netCDF #OLR-692110]: Regarding Netcdf -4.1.3 installation

Hi Shard,

> Thanks for the reply. I have tried to find the reason, but enable to do so.
> I have attached the error, which I got after make check....
> *** Testing netcdf file functions some more.
> *** testing simple opendap open/close...Sorry! Unexpected result,
> tst_files6.c, line: 25
> FAIL: tst_files6
> 1 of 50 tests failed
> Please report to address@hidden
> make[2]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/saral/softwares/netcdf-4.1.3/nc_test4'

This is a problem with the configuration of the remote data test server
used in the old and unsupported version 4.1.3, which has since been fixed
to point to a new test server that will work correctly, so it's not a
problem with your netCDF build.

You can either choose

  1. to complete the test and installation of version 4.1.3
     after a "make clean" and rerunning configure and "make check",
     using the configure option "--disable-dap-remote-tests"

or

  2. Use the current supported release, version 4.2.1.1, and following
     the similar configure and build instructions here:

       http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/building.html

I recommend approach 2, which also has fixes for other bugs in the 4.1.3
release.  One difference is that version 4.2.1.1 has the Fortran support
unbundled in a separate distribution, which you would need to build and
install after installing the 4.2.1.1 netcdf C library, if you need the
netCDF Fortran library.

The downloads of the latest (4.2.1.1) C release and the 4.2 Fortran release
are available here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf

--Russ

Ticket ID: OLR-692110