[netCDF #TIU-359130]: Additional information regarding ticket MAV-429067

Hi Steve,

> Regarding the MAV-429067 problem (see below), I've also  tried a C only
> install by exporting FC=' ' and CXX=' ' prior to running configure.
> This didn't work, as configure still tried to compose a makefile with FC =
> gfortran. Then I tried:
>
> ./configure —prefix=/Applications/local —disable-netcdf-4 —disable-dap
> --disable-fortran
>
> which worked, i.e. make , check and install all looked OK and the resulting
> files linked with my C programs.
>
> I suspect the first problem I note below, i.e. the one that stops the
> configure script with :
>
> 'checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed' char"... configure: error: Could
> not link conftestf.o and conftest.o'
>
> is a problem with the Xcode supplied version of gfortran. I think I could
> figure this out on my own if I wanted to use gfortran, e.g., install another
> gfortran version.

Yes, on OSX Xcode doesn't come with a Fortran compiler, so whatever version of
gfortran you have must have
been installed separately, and may not be compatible with the gcc that comes
with XCode.

> The thing that has me confused is the second problem, i.e., why is the
> configure script ignoring the environment variables that I've defined.
> I've run a test to check that a simple local bash script recognizes global
> variables that I've set via export, and it does. That is,
>
> Export TEST='This is a Test'
>
> # TEST.scr
> Echo $TEST
> exit
>
> echoes $TEST when I enter TEST.scr <ret> at the command line.
>
> I'm doing this all with Root User enabled. Is there something about configure
> that I'm missing?. I've looked through configure –h but can't see anything
> that
> relates to this. This looks like a dumb problem, but for the life of me I
> can't figure it out.

On most systems, sudo does not permit inheriting environment variables, because
it opens a security problem.
See the "Command Environment" section of this sudo guide for workarounds:

  http://www.sudo.ws/sudoers.man.html

--Russ

Ticket ID: TIU-359130
Department: Support netCDF