[netCDF #JQJ-706508]: configuring netcdf-cxx4-4.2

Chris,

> Thank you very much for your quick and helpful reply! I uninstalled
> everything and started from zero:
>
> zlib (zlib-1.2.7):
> ./configure --prefix=/home/seiler/local
> make check install
>
> HDF5 (hdf5-1.8.9):
> CFLAGS=-O0 ./configure --with-zlib=/home/seiler/local
> --prefix=/home/seiler/local
> make check install
> [By the way, only with "CFLAGS=-O0" this worked on my Ubuntu LTS]
>
> netCDF (netcdf-4.2.1.1):
> CPPFLAGS=-I/home/seiler/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/home/seiler/local/lib
> ./configure --prefix=/home/seiler/local
> make check install
>
> Till here everything worked great: "nc-config --has-nc4" returns "yes". I
> add "/home/seiler/local/bin" as a permanent path in my ".profile". Now:
>
> netcdf-cxx (netcdf-cxx4-4.2):
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/seiler/local/lib
> export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/home/seiler/local/include
> ./configure --prefix=/home/seiler/local
>
> returns:
>
> configure: error: NetCDF must be built with netCDF-4 enabled.
>
> I included the full message below. I don't see what is still going wrong.
> Could you give me another hint? Thank you very much!

The configure script doesn't pay any attention to the "C_INCLUDE_PATH"
environment variable, as far as I know.  I think you still need to use
CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS for the netcdf-cxx configure, to tell it where the
netCDF-4.2.1.1 include file and library were installed.  You don't need to
export these if they are set on the same command line as the configure
invocation,
but otherwise you do.  So try something like

  CPPFLAGS=-I/home/seiler/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/home/seiler/local/lib
./configure --prefix=/home/seiler/local

I'm not sure whether you also need to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include
/home/seiler/local/lib, but it couldn't hurt.

If that doesn't work, we'll need to see the "config.log" file, not just the
output from running configure.

--Russ

Ticket ID: JQJ-706508
Department: Support netCDF