[netCDF #JSU-487825]: unable to locate netcdf.mod

Grant,

> Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately, I think you might have missed
> the crucial point, which is that netcdf.mod couldn't be found ANYWHERE on
> my system after the fink installation.

Oops, sorry, I did miss that.  Now I see your fink installation was installing
the latest netcdf-4.2.1.1 C library and an older netcdf-3.6.3 combined C
library
and Fortran library.  What I would recommend is installing the 4.2.1.1 C
library,
as you have done, then compiling the netCDF Fortran library version 4.2 from
the source tarball, telling it where you installed the C library, as described
here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-fortran-install.html

You'll see from the above that it makes a difference whether the netCDF C
library
is installed as a shared library (recommended) or as a static library (will
require more library flags to compile netCDF applications).

It would be good to uninstall whatever fink installed for the netcdf-3.6.3
version,
as we haven't tested the combination you have installed.

--Russ

> So I have since tried to bypass the fink installation and instead install
> it directly from the tarballs on the Unidata page.  This too proved a
> challenge in that apparently you can't use /usr/bin/gcc in the compilation
> but rather must install and use /sw/bin/gcc.  But even after that, I'm
> still running into problems in that 'make check' for the Fortran add-on
> reports failures of two out of three tests.

Yes, /usr/bin/gcc is the Apple C compiler, which apparently is incompatible
with some versions of gfortran.  Also gcc compiles 64-bit objects as a default
whereas some versions of gfortran build 32-bit objects unless you explicitly
include the -m64 flag or use the "-arch x86_64".  NetCDF works fine using a
32-bit model, so you could try -m32 with gcc and the default with gfortran.

Also with some versions of XTools on MacOS-X, we need to set the environment
variable

  lt_cv_ld_force_load=no

before running configure, though I don't know if that's necessary with the
latest
tools ...

--Russ

> To summarize, I need to install a gfortran (with support for Fortran-90)
> compatible netcdf library on my Mac running 10.6.8, but every method I've
> tried so far has failed for various reasons.

If any of the above suggestions work, please let us know.> On Mon, 24 Sep 2012,
Unidata netCDF Support wrote:

> [...]
> >> 'nco' instead
> >> i   netcdf                          3.6.3-6                 Interface &
> >> lib for array-based data access
> >> (i)  netcdf-bin                      4.2.1-1                 Array-based
> >> data access, user programs
> >> netcdf-c7                       4.2.1-1                 Array-based data
> >> access, C headers and docs
> >> (i)  netcdf-c7-shlibs                4.2.1-1                 Array-based
> >> data access, C library
> >> netcdf-cxx4                     4.2-2                   Array-based data
> >> access, C++ headers and docs
> >> netcdf-cxx4-shlibs              4.2-2                   Array-based data
> >> access, C++ library
> >> netcdf-fortran5                 4.2-4                   Array-based data
> >> access, Fortran headers/doc
> >> netcdf-fortran5-shlibs          4.2-4                   Array-based data
> >> access, Fortran library
> >> netcdf-g95                      3.6.3-9                 Interface & lib
> >> for array-based data access
> >> netcdf-g95-shlibs               3.6.3-9                 Interface & lib
> >> for array-based data access
> >> i   netcdf-gfortran                 3.6.3-9                 Interface &
> >> lib for array-based data access
> >> i   netcdf-gfortran-shlibs          3.6.3-9                 Interface &
> >> lib for array-based data access
> >> netcdf-perl-pm588               1.2.3-7                 Perl extension for
> >> netCDF datasets access
> >> i   netcdf-shlibs                   3.6.3-6                 Interface &
> >> lib for array-based data access
> >> netcdf7                         4.1.3-9                 Array-based data
> >> access, headers and docs
> >> netcdf7-bin                     4.1.3-9                 Array-based data
> >> access, interface
> >> netcdf7-gfortran                4.1.3-11                Interface & lib
> >> for array-based data access
> >> netcdf7-gfortran-shlibs         4.1.3-11                Interface & lib
> >> for array-based data access
> >> netcdf7-shlibs                  4.1.3-9                 Array-based data
> >> access, headers and docs
> >>

> >> Please let me know if I overlooked something I should have installed.
> >
> > This email and the followup from the fink users mailing list may be helpful:
> >
> >  http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg35667.html
> >  http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg35668.html
> >
> > Also, with a MacOS-X system you can use the "Searchlight" tool in the upper
> > right on the menubar to find files like "netcdf.mod".  When a list of such
> > files
> > appears, just hold down the option-command key combination while your cursor
> > is over the name, and the path to the file will appear at the bottom of the
> > information window about the file, to the left of the list.
> >
> > --Russ
> >
> > Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program

Ticket ID: JSU-487825
Department: Support netCDF