[netCDF #FTF-410107]: Statistical Software Resource Suggestion

Hi Jamie,

> I wanted to follow up with you on the email I sent a while back regarding
> the software directory page at
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/software.html.

I don't think I saw the previous email.

> I'm working with Revolution Analytics to reach out to the academic
> community and help announce their statistical computing software based
> on the R programming language. Revolution's academic distribution is an
> open source distribution offered free of charge:
>
> http://www.revolutionanalytics.com/downloads/
>
> They also offer a collection of R resources, including webinars
>
> http://www.revolutionanalytics.com/news-events/free-webinars/
>
> and white papers
>
> http://www.revolutionanalytics.com/why-revolution-r/whitepapers/rise-of-big-data.php
>
> I'm reaching out to you again because I think the Revolution Analytics
> academic license could be useful to the UCAR community. Would you consider
> including it on the resource page?

Our netCDF software list is intended to provide brief descriptions of
specific software useful to the netCDF community of scientific data
providers, developers, and researchers who make use of netCDF data.
It is not intended for marketing of companies that provide enterprise
solutions for businesses, white papers, analytics services, or
software aimed at other user communities.  In particular, we don't
want to dilute the content of that resource page with material not
directly relevant to netCDF such as entries about R, statistics, big
data analytics, data science, data mining or similar subjects.

All those subjects are interesting, but they are not software
specifically of interest to the netCDF community for manipulating or
displaying netCDF data.

If you still want to draft a short paragraph about what Revolution R
Enterprise adds for netCDF users (other than the ncdf4 or RNetCDF
packages already mentioned under the "R interface" entry) I'll
consider adding it, but it would have to be consistent with the
purpose and current tone of the web page, as described above.

Thanks.

--Russ

Ticket ID: FTF-410107
Department: Support netCDF