[netCDF #MBM-356064]: nc-config output and CPP changes

Hi Si,

> I am working with netcdf 4.2 Fortran, C, and C++ version.
> When I ran the nc-config command, the output looks like this:
>
> nc-config --all
>
> This netCDF 4.2 has been built with the following features:
> --cc        -> gcc
> --cflags    ->  -I/glade/apps/opt/netcdf/4.2/gnu/4.4.6/include
> -I/glade/apps/opt/hdf5/1.8.9/gnu/4.4.6/include
> -I/glade/apps/opt/szlib/2.1/gnu/4.4.6/include
> --libs      -> -L/glade/apps/opt/netcdf/4.2/gnu/4.4.6/lib -lnetcdf
> --cxx       -> @CXX@
> --has-c++   -> @HAS_CXX@
> --fc        -> @FC@
> --fflags    -> @FFLAGS@ @MOD_FLAG@/glade/apps/opt/netcdf/4.2/gnu/4.4.6/include
> --flibs     -> -L/glade/apps/opt/netcdf/4.2/gnu/4.4.6/lib @NC_FLIBS@
> --has-f77   -> @HAS_F77@
> --has-f90   -> @HAS_F90@
> --has-dap   -> yes
> --has-nc2   -> yes
> --has-nc4   -> yes
> --has-hdf5  -> yes
> --has-hdf4  -> no
> --has-pnetcdf-> no
> --has-szlib ->
> --prefix    -> /glade/apps/opt/netcdf/4.2/gnu/4.4.6
> --includedir-> /glade/apps/opt/netcdf/4.2/gnu/4.4.6/include
> --version   -> netCDF 4.2
>
> My understanding is those Fortran/C++ flags(e.g. @HAS_F77@) should be
> obtained from nf-config or ncxx4-config command, they are not necessary
> here for C version at all. I have not seen any problem with this netcdf
> so far but believe it will look much better if nc-config only shows the
> necessary parts.

Actually, several C users have requested that nc-config continue to report
on Fortran flags and libraries, because otherwise that breaks Makefiles
that use nc-config for this information, see:

  https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/jira/browse/NCF-179

So I fixed nc-config to detect whether nf-config is installed, and if so,
to call it to get the needed information.  The fixed version of nc-config
is in the netCDF-4.2.1-rc1 release candidate, which you can get from here,
if you want to test it and report on any problems you find:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-4.2.1-rc1.tar.gz

> We also noticed that there are a lot of changes in the new CPP version
> of netcdf. Do you have the documentation that describes all your recent
> changes? Previous CPP programs written with netcdf previous versions
> are not compatible with the new netcdf 4.2 now. I have not found the
> information I need in the Release Notes.

We make available two versions of the C++ API, as announced on the
netcdfgroup mailing list:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/netcdfgroup/2011/msg00365.html

They are distributed separately from the C library distribution, so we aren't
documenting C++ API changes in the C release notes.  It looks like there are
no release notes in the netcdf-cxx4 distribution, but there is an overview of
the changes here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/cxx4/

Our intention is that new programs will use the new release, but that the old
release will still work with new netCDF C releases.  If that's not the case,
please let us know.  Thanks.

--Russ

Ticket ID: MBM-356064
Department: Support netCDF