[netCDF #VNC-938365]: c++ netcdf documantation

Hi Kelly,

> the netcdf_cxx documantation on this page seems wrong. was there some
> recent refactoring of the methods to the NcFile object? this page has a
> method get_var() where the example has getVar(). getVar() compiles. none
> of the methods on the page do.
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-cxx/Class-NcFile.html#Class-NcFile

There are currently two different C++ APIs for netCDF, an older one initially
developed about fifteen years ago, which we now call the "legacy C++ interface":

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-cxx.html

and a newer one that includes support for netCDF-4, contributed by Lynton Appel
of the Culham Centre for Fusion Energy:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/cxx4/

The latter software is still under active development, but the first has no
development
and only occasional maintenance.  The two APIs are intentionally use different
method
names.  Our documentation has not yet caught up with the new "netcdf-cxx4"
library,
leading to confusion and support questions.

Thanks for pointing out the problem, I've just added it to our list of things
that need
fixing:

  https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/jira/browse/NCXXF-9

Thanks for reporting the problem!