[netCDF #APV-976877]: ncopen error message

Good morning Peter,

Russ has asked me to chime in, as I've spent some time recently working with
szip on Windows.  As an addendum to Russ's last message, the links to the szip
source Russ provided should let you build the szip.dll/szip.lib libraries you
need, on Windows. You will need CMake (http://www.cmake.org/) to do so.

I'm not sure what your build environment is, but building szip is fairly
straightforward:

1) Install CMake http://www.cmake.org/
2) Download and uncompress the szip source tree (szip-2.1) to some location.
3) Open a command window
4) Change directory into the szip-2.1 root directory (`cd C:\szip-2.1`)
5) Create a build directory ('mkdir build')
6) Change into the build directory ('cd build')
7) Depending on your build environment, do one of the following:
== Visual Studio
8) cmake ..
9) After cmake completes, open the resulting visual studio project in Visual
studio and compile it. The resulting libraries should be in the build/Debug/
directories.

== MSYS/MinGW
8) cmake -G"MSYS Makefiles" ..
9) 'make'. The resulting libraries will be in the build/bin directory.

These are the two build environments I have been working with, but many, many
others are supported. You will need to consult the CMake documentation for the
appropriate '-G' flag.

Hopefully this will help. Have a great day,

-Ward
Ward Fisher
address@hidden

> Hi Peter,
>
> > Further to my query regarding ncdump, I am just ensuring that I have the
> > correct dll's and lib's present. All is ok apart from  'szlibdll.lib' which
> > has eluded me thus far; for example, the link in the HDFgroup documentation
> > to download 'szlibdll.dll' and 'szlibdll.lib' does not work. I was
> > wondering if you could please advise me on a reliable download for this
> > file.
>
> I don't know from where to download a precompiled dll for szlib on Windows,
> but the latest version is available in source form from either of these two
> places:
>
> http://www.hdfgroup.org/ftp/lib-external/szip/2.1/src/szip-2.1.tar.gz
> or
> ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-4/szip-2.1.tar.gz
>
> and it appears to be relatively easy to buld and install on Windows from
> source,
> accorrding to these instructions in the INSTALL file in the top-level source
> directory:
>
> 4. Installation for Windows platforms
>
> To install on Windows, extract project and instruction files from the
> szipproj.zip archive in the "windows" directory, and follow the instructions
> in the INSTALL_SZIP.txt file.
>
> --Russ
>
> Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
> address@hidden                      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

Ticket ID: APV-976877
Department: Support netCDF