[netCDF #HDO-215554]: Build Netcdf 4.2 with pgf90 and gcc/gfortran build hdf5/zlib/curl

Hi Scott,

> Is it possible to build just the netcdf 4.2 fortran (77/90) libraries
> with pgf90 (we do not have the c/c++ compilers) using hdf5/zlib/curl
> libraries built with gcc/gfortran? What would the environment/configure
> script command line options look like?

Yes, we've tested that combination, and it works fine.  The netCDF software
makes no use of the HDF5 Fortran API, so it doesn't matter whether that was
even built, let alone what compiler was used.  We had some trouble building
shared libraries, but the static libraries were pretty easy.

Here's a combination that worked for us (some of these flags may not be
necessary),
assuming you installed the HDF5 software in /share/ed/local/spock/:

 CPPFLAGS=-I/share/ed/local/spock/include
 CC=gcc
 CFLAGS='-g -O2'
 CXX=g++
 CXXFLAGS='-g -O2'
 FC=pgf95
 FCFLAGS=-g
 F77=pgf95
 FFLAGS=-g
 LDFLAGS=-L/share/ed/local/spock/lib
 LIBS=-lcurl

and configure like this:

 ./configure --disable-shared --enable-netcdf-4
 make check install

--Russ

Ticket ID: HDO-215554
Department: Support netCDF