[netCDF #IGV-352566]: At what version of the library was netcdff introduced?

Hi Donald,

> I support some of the community codes at RAL. I wanted to see if I could
> pin down when you guys switched from having a single library netcdf.a
> with both C and Fortran support, to the separate libraries such as
> netcdff.a.
>
> Specifically in what versions of the library did this change occur?

Since version 3.6.2-beta3, released on 2006-05-24, there has been a
configure option "--enable-separate-fortran" which supported creation
of a separate Fortran library.  This option was not the default unless
the "--enable-shared-libraries" option was used, in which case a
separate Fortran library was generated by default.

This configure option was also in version 4.0, released on 2008-06-29.

There were two main reasons for enabling separate Fortran libraries:

  - so the same C library could be used with multiple Fortran compilers
  - so the benefits of shared libraries would be available to Fortran
    users

Until version 4.1.3, static libraries were the default, but with
version 4.1.3, released 2011-06-30, the default was switched to
shared.  There was an announcement about this change for some of
the beta releases of 4.1.3, if I remember correctly.

--Russ

Ticket ID: IGV-352566
Department: Support netCDF