[netCDF #UBO-194263]: netcdf fortran 4.2 build error

> It looked like the easiest fix was to remove 4.2 and try installing
> 4.1.3 - that way NetCDF should automatically set all needed environment
> variables in order to know where all its C and FORTRAN parts are,
> correct?  I'm actually trying to build the GISS ModelE climate model
> (http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/modele/HOWTO.html) which is choking
> during linking on NetCDF.  So the same build problem with NetCDF may be
> what's messing up my build of ModelE. *make check* and *make install*
> both ran correctly, so I assume now both C and FORTRAN will utilize
> header files and shared objects/libraries correctly?

Yes, but you may have to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to point
to the library directory where you installed 4.1.3 before running the climate
model
that's linked to the 4.1.3 netCDF libraries.  There are other alternatives to
create an
executable for the model that "knows" where the libraries on which it depends
are
installed, as documented in the message displayed when you ran "make install"
for
netCDF:

  If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
  in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
  specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
  flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
     - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
       during execution
     - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
       during linking
     - use the `-Wl,-rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
     - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'

  See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
  more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.

--Russ

> [...]
> >> depbase=`echo fort-genvar.lo | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.lo$||'`;\
> >> /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
> >> -I..  -DDLL_EXPORT    -g -O2 -MT fort-genvar.lo -MD -MP -MF $depbase.Tpo
> >> -c -o fort-genvar.lo fort-genvar.c&&\
> >> mv -f $depbase.Tpo $depbase.Plo
> >> libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -DDLL_EXPORT -g -O2 -MT
> >> fort-genvar.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/fort-genvar.Tpo -c fort-genvar.c  -fPIC
> >> -DPIC -o .libs/fort-genvar.o
> >> libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -DDLL_EXPORT -g -O2 -MT
> >> fort-genvar.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/fort-genvar.Tpo -c fort-genvar.c -o
> >> fort-genvar.o>/dev/null 2>&1
> >> depbase=`echo fort-lib.lo | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.lo$||'`;\
> >> /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
> >> -I..  -DDLL_EXPORT    -g -O2 -MT fort-lib.lo -MD -MP -MF $depbase.Tpo -c
> >> -o fort-lib.lo fort-lib.c&&\
> >> mv -f $depbase.Tpo $depbase.Plo
> >> libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -DDLL_EXPORT -g -O2 -MT
> >> fort-lib.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/fort-lib.Tpo -c fort-lib.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o
> >> .libs/fort-lib.o
> >> libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -DDLL_EXPORT -g -O2 -MT
> >> fort-lib.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/fort-lib.Tpo -c fort-lib.c -o fort-lib.o
> >> depbase=`echo fort-misc.lo | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.lo$||'`;\
> >> /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
> >> -I..  -DDLL_EXPORT    -g -O2 -MT fort-misc.lo -MD -MP -MF $depbase.Tpo
> >> -c -o fort-misc.lo fort-misc.c&&\
> >> mv -f $depbase.Tpo $depbase.Plo
> >> libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -DDLL_EXPORT -g -O2 -MT
> >> fort-misc.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/fort-misc.Tpo -c fort-misc.c  -fPIC -DPIC
> >> -o .libs/fort-misc.o
> >> libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -DDLL_EXPORT -g -O2 -MT
> >> fort-misc.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/fort-misc.Tpo -c fort-misc.c -o
> >> fort-misc.o>/dev/null 2>&1
> >> depbase=`echo fort-v2compat.lo | sed 's|[^/]*$|.deps/&|;s|\.lo$||'`;\
> >> /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
> >> -I..  -DDLL_EXPORT    -g -O2 -MT fort-v2compat.lo -MD -MP -MF
> >> $depbase.Tpo -c -o fort-v2compat.lo fort-v2compat.c&&\
> >> mv -f $depbase.Tpo $depbase.Plo
> >> libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -DDLL_EXPORT -g -O2 -MT
> >> fort-v2compat.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/fort-v2compat.Tpo -c fort-v2compat.c
> >> -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/fort-v2compat.o
> >> fort-v2compat.c: In function 'c_ncopn':
> >> fort-v2compat.c:274:33: error: 'NC_CLASSIC_MODEL' undeclared (first use
> >> in this function)
> >> fort-v2compat.c:274:33: note: each undeclared identifier is reported
> >> only once for each function it appears in
> >> make[2]: *** [fort-v2compat.lo] Error 1
> >> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/netcdf42/fortran'
> >> make[1]: *** [check] Error 2
> >> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/netcdf42/fortran'
> >> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
> >>

> > Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program

Ticket ID: UBO-194263
Department: Support netCDF