[netCDF #BHB-499824]: Installing netcdf on Mac

Hi,

> I was trying to install netcdf on my mac machine using pgi fortran, and
> got the following error message:
>
> error: Fortran could not compile .f90 files
>
> I have set
>
> export FCFLAGS=-qsuffix=cpp=f90

I don't think the "-qsuffix" option is available for the pgif90 compiler.  I
have only seen it used
for the xlf90 compiler on AIX platforms.

If you are using netCDF version 4.1.3 or earlier, you can try these
instructions from another
netCDF user:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/other-builds.html#mac_pgi

or try these instructions from the Portland Group:

  http://www.pgroup.com/resources/netcdf/netcdf411_pgi2011.htm

If you are using version 4.2, first build and install the netCDF C library
following these
instructions:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/building.html

then get the netcdf-fortran-4.2 package and build it according to these
instructions:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-fortran-install.html

--Russ

Ticket ID: BHB-499824