[netCDF #FGC-866162]: Install documentation

Hi Dave,

> (1)  The README file in the netcdf 4..2-rc2 distribution refers to a
> file called INSTALL.  However, there is no INSTALL or INSTALL.html
> file.  I find man4/install.doc which appears to be a source file for
> part of the build process.  It is not user friendly documentation
> before running make.
>
> It would be nice if there was a self contained install file that was
> available BEFORE trying to run running configure and make.  However if
> Unidata prefers to provide only web based install docs, I think that
> would be good enough for most users.  If so, please remove the
> reference in README to the INSTALL file, to avert frustration.

Thanks for reporting this problem!  I've created a top-level INSTALL
file from the man4/install.doc, which will be available in tomorrow's
snapshot release.

> (2)  Man4/install.doc in the current snapshot calls out libcurl
> version 7.16.4 or later.  However, libcurl version 7.18.0 or later is
> specified on this web page:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Requirements.html
>
> Also, the libcurl version number is still absent from
> man4/html/build_default.html, which is generated by make from last
> night's snapshot.

OK, I think I've synced the libcurl version numbers to 7.18.0.

> May I suggest that (a) libcurl version numbers should be brought into
> sync for subsequent 4.2 distros, and (b) it might help to gather this
> information into fewer documents.  I like the unified table style for
> presenting third party version requirements; current info for all
> libraries is gathered into one place.  Including szip, I count four
> external libraries that I am aware of.
>
> Here is an example for Grads, though I think they go farther than
> necessary in providing build instructions:
> http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/supplibs.html

Wow, that's a pretty impressive table!  With only three mandatory and
one optional third-party library, I've just included the version numbers
in the text, when the packages are first mentioned.

Thanks again for pointing out this important omission!

--Russ

Ticket ID: FGC-866162
Department: Support netCDF