[netCDF #QFS-865769]: Using netcdf library on a windows platform

Hi Isabelle,

Hi Robert,

Sorry to take so long to respond to your question:
> We are trying to link the netcdf library to a Fortran code on a Windows
> XP platform, but the link fails.
> We have installed the netcdf3.6.1 windows .dll
>
> We tried to put the .dll in the Windows32 directory, or to put it in
> another place, providing the path to the corresponding directory, but
> in both cases the link fails. We tried the compilation with the
> gfortran compiler or the Compaq Visual fortran platform, without
> success.

The current version of netCDF, version 4.2-rc1 (a "release candidate" for
version 4.2) does not easily build for Visual Studios on Windows platforms.
The build system we have been using works OK for a Cygwin system, but a
different build system is required for VS. We have recently recruited and
hired a developer to help provide full support for Windows VS, but it is
likely to take some time (several months?) to reach that goal.

In the mean time, some community ports of the earlier versions 4.1.1 and
4.1.3 for VS have been made available, and there's more information about
them here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#windows_netcdf4_1

All netCDF-4 versions also support the netCDF-3 format and API's for
C and Fortran as drop-in replacements for netCDF-3.6.1, but with many
bug fixes and performance improvements.

--Russ

Russ Rew UCAR Unidata Program

Ticket ID: QFS-865769