[netCDF #RPO-951644]: netcdf 4.1.3 build failure

Hi Roger,

>                         ... Re: your comment about Fortran with regard
> to the upcoming release, I believe I also noticed comments on the website
> about C++ becoming unavailable in the main release. I do call netcdf from
> C++ code (although it might actually be through C interface functions, I'd
> have to dig around a bit more to figure this out). Is it true that C++ is
> also being separated out of the main release in addition to Fortran, and
> if so is it on the path to being completely dropped at some point in the
> future?

There are no plans to drop either Fortran or C++ support, and there are
short-term
plans to improve both in the next few months, with Fortran to C interfaces based
on the Fortran 2003 standard and C++ support for netCDF-4, including compression
and tiling.  The netCDF-4 C++ API is changed from the one for netCDF-3, but we
have no plans to drop the netCDF-3 C++ API.

Separating them out removes dependencies that hold up the C, Fortran, and C++
releases and makes building with shared libraries more complex, both for us and
for users.  Making the netCDF libraries more modular allows them to be
maintained
and released independently and makes testing and porting simpler.

--Russ

Ticket ID: RPO-951644
Department: Support netCDF