[netCDF #TPI-957404]: bug report

Hi Mark,

> there appears to be a bug in the netcdf-4.1.3.tar.gz downloaded from
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/netcdf-4_1_3/index.jsp. Line 734
> of f90/netcdf_expanded.f90 is
>
> print *, values(1, 1), values(1, 2), values(1, 3), values(1, 4)
>
> This looks like a rogue debugging statement that someone forgot to remove; it
> is giving segfaults ("values" can have a second dimension of less than 4).
>
> please may you advise on whether this is a bug and if it is sensible for us
> to remove this line locally, on the basis that the next version will also
> have this line removed

Yes, sorry, it's a bug in 4.1.3.  Please remove the line.  It has already been
removed from the latest Fortran release, now
a separate source distribution, as announced here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/netcdfgroup/2011/msg00365.html

I don't think we previously knew this caused segfaults, so I've added an entry
about the bug in our "Known Problems" page
for 4.1.3:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/known_problems.html#f90-debug-segfault

Thanks for reporting the problem!

--Russ