[netCDF #ESW-478054]: netcdf c++ on windows

Hi Marc,

> One of our multi-platform (linux/mac) program uses the netcdf_c++ library
> and we'd like to support windows platforms. I searched through your
> website/ftp and mailing-list but I couldn't find a link to a working
> version of a windows binary of the netcdf c++ library, nor a walkthrough to
> compile it under visual studio 2010.
>
> Is the library available somewhere ?

Sorry, we don't have a current port of netCDF C++ to Windows visual studio,
although
it's been reported to work fine if built under cygwin (with g++, though I'm not
sure
if it also works with the vs C++ compiler).

For the current state of the Visual Studio port, see this FAQ entry:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#windows_netcdf4_1

The latest netCDF snapshot release of the C library has some changes to make it
easier to build under Windows, and both of the C++ libraries (for netCDF-3 and
netCDF-4) are just layered on top of the C library.  If you're adventurous, you
can get the latest snapshot from

  http://svn.unidata.ucar.edu/repos/netcdf/trunk

and the C++ releases that assume the C library is installed already are
available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-cxx-4.2.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-cxx4-4.2.tar.gz

Things will be a bit chaotic with the Windows port until we hire a replacement
for the developer who worked on that platform ...

--Russ

--Russ

> Best regards,
>
> Marc Piuzzi, PhD