[netCDF #PPH-319693]: Problem building NetCDF 64-bit versions on AIX

Hi Peter,

> I'm trying to build a 64-bit version of NetCDF.
>
> The OS version is AIX 6.1. NetCDF is version netcdf-4.1.3.
>
> The problem arises when trying to use ar to insert object modules into
> libraries. The object modules are 64-bit but the command (ar) is expecting
> 32-bit objects.
>
> Various documentation states that there is a requirement to use ARFLAGS=
> "-X64 cru"
> This should work but did not. I then set OBJECT_MODE=64 which did result
> in a successful compilation.
>
> On investigation, I discovered that despite the environment variable being
> set, the makefiles all use flags of "cru". I did not discover where this
> was coming from but I did notice that other compiler flags such as CFLAGS
> were propagated from the environment into the makefile, unlike ARFLAGS.
>
> It would seem that there is a bug or oversight in configure.

Yes, this is a known problem with libtool that has been around for a while:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/known_problems.html#ARFLAGS

The only solution we know about is to use AR_FLAGS instead of ARFLAGS, or
as you have already discovered, to set OBJECT_MODE=64.

--Russ

Ticket ID: PPH-319693
Department: Support netCDF