[netCDF #PJC-789165]: Another question about netcdf4

> This will be impossible to answer algorithmically ;-) , but do you know
> which of the new types (compound, vlen, opaque and enum) are the most
> used and which are the least used?

I think none of these are being used much yet, as people are mainly
sticking with the classic model, using netCDF-4 for compression,
chunking, and very large files.  However, from support questions I've
seen, I'd say the most used is vlen, followed by compound, enum, and
opaque, with the latter hardly used at all.

> In my work on the handler updates I'd like to make the folks maximally
> happy with minimal effort, esp. since NOAA just agreed to fund work to
> make many of the kludges I'm about to consider moot...

Unfortunately, vlen and compound are the most effort to implement ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: PJC-789165
Department: Support netCDF