[netCDF #QRO-332150]: Suggestion: Nccopy Error messages

Hi Mark,

> I have a suggestion regarding the nccopy utility - I hope that this is
> the right place to propose it.
>
> Today I was trying to copy a large (40GB) netcdf file using the nccopy
> command - it seemed to work well, right up until the very end at
> which point I received a mysterious error that was simply described as
> "HDF Error", a reference to an error in nccopy.c and a seg-fault. -
> unfortunately the precise error has since disappeared. I spent a great
> deal of time trying to figure out the cause of this, and after several
> hours, by good-luck rather than good management, found it - my hard
> disk was full!
>
> Therefore, my request/suggestion would be for an improvement to the
> error messages in nccopy to inform the user that this is the source of
> the error.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, this can't be fixed in nccopy, as far
as I know, but needs a change in the way errors are communicated to the
netCDF-4 layer.  We agree this is a change we need to implement in the next
release after 4.2.  If you want to follow the progress of the fix, here's the
URL
for the Jira issue:

  https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/jira/browse/NCF-114

Thanks for reporting this!