[netCDF #VWI-224442]: Extending cxx or cxx4 to work from memory

> Hello,
>
> My name is Tom Niedzielski.  I apologize ahead of time if this question
> has already been answered in the support archives;  I didn't know what
> to search for.
>
> I'm currently working at the National Operational Hydrologic Remote
> Sensing Center (NOHRSC) on a project which involves ETL from
> one PostgreSQL 8.3.14 database holding NetCDF files to another
> PostgreSQL database which will hold the same information as SQL
> primitives. The program that will handle the ETL operations will be written
> with one of the C++ Interfaces for NetCDF.
>
> The PostgreSQL large object functions can export an array of
> bytes or a file, but we would like to avoid creating temporary files on the
> system that will be running the ETL program, if possible.  Since you
> have the
> best understanding of these interfaces, I felt I should ask you:
> What's the cleanest way to alter an interface so that it can interpret
> NetCDF
> from memory instead of a file?
>
> Even though I am emailing you, your point-of-contact for this issue will
> be Kelley Eicher (address@hidden)
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Tom Niedzielski
> NOHRSC
> 1735 Lake Drive West
> Chanhassen, MN 55317

Howdy Tom!

One feature we hope to add soon is support for diskless files, that is, files
that exist only in memory. You can follow my progress on this issue here:
https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/jira/browse/NCF-5

Until that's done, my advice is to use temporary files, but store them on a RAM
disk.

Good luck,

Ed

Ticket ID: VWI-224442