[netCDF #JAT-378412]: netCDF library port to new HP-UX system

Hi Xinhua,

> I work for SPAWAR. We are trying to port a mocule that consists of c and
> fortran code from HP-UX 9000 PA-RISK 32 bit machine to HP-UX 11i v3 ia64
> machine. In the old system we used the library libnercdf.a from your
> company and it worked fine. We still would like to compile the new
> system in 32 bit mode. By default +DD32 fior compile and link is turned
> on.
>
> In the new system, it has the following error:
> ld: mismatched ABI( not a ELF file) libnetcdf.a
>
> Do you have a binary that works on the new system? What do i need to do
> to port it over?

No, sorry, we don't have an updated HP-UX platform on which we could build
such binaries.  You should be able to build libnetcdf.a from source easily
if you configure to not use any of the new features available in the current
netCDF-4 library that you don't make use of, like support for the enhanced
netCDF-4 data model or OPeNDAP client support.  Just get the source from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.gz

and run the configure script with the options

  --disable-netcdf-4 --disable-dap

If you don't use the Fortran-77 or Fortran-90 interfaces or the C++
interfaces, you could also include the configure options

  --disable-fortran --disable-cxx

If the default is to build 64-bit executables, you'll have to set
the environment variables CFLAGS, FCFLAGS, FFLAGS, CXXFLAGS
appropriately (e.g. "-m32") for C, Fortran-90, Fortran-77, or C++
compiler flags, before invoking the configure script, and then just
follow the build instructions:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Quick-Instructions.html

--Russ

Ticket ID: JAT-378412