[netCDF #UPV-942022]: Problem in installing netcdf 4.1

Hi Ajay,

> First, Is it necessary to install HDF5 and Zlib with PGI compiler if i
> want netcdf with pgi.

No, we have tested netCDF compiled with PGI compilers linking with HDF5
and zlib compiled with non-PGI compilers, e.g. gcc and gfortran.

> Moreover, when I tried to install Netcdf4.1 with pgi. I set environment:
>
> export CC pgcc
> export CXX pgcpp
> export FC pgfortran
> export F90 pgfortran
> export LD pgfortran
> export CPPFLAGS "-DpgiFortran"
>
> After this during make it give me a following error.
>
> [cese@localhost netcdf-4.1.1]$ make
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
>
> I am also attaching my configure.log file for more information. Kindly,
> help me as soon as possible. I am totally new to it.

The configure script failed with

  configure:5184: error: C compiler cannot create executables
  See `config.log' for more details.

So it didn't get as far as generating Makefiles.  I also see above
that message in config.log:

  configure:5111: checking whether the C compiler works
  configure:5133: pgcc -02-V -DNDEBUG-DpgiFortran  conftest.c  >&5
  pgcc-Error-Unknown switch: -02-V

Maybe you have an environment variable set wrong, such as

  CFLAGS="-O2-V"

mashing two compiler options together with no intervening space.

This information from the Portland Group about building netCDF may also be
helpful:

  http://www.pgroup.com/resources/tips.htm#NETCDF

--Russ

Ticket ID: UPV-942022