[netCDF #QLH-492572]: lnetcdf

Hamed,

> I installed NetCDF on my PC. One of friend told me you have to
> install some extra library, including libnetcdf6 and libnetcdfmm5. I
> installed the libnetcdf6 but I could found the libnetcdfmm5. What am
> I supposed to do?

You don't need libnetcdf6 or libnetcdfmm5 to build and install the
netCDF libraries from source.  I had never heard of libnetcdf6 or
libnetcdfmm5 before your question, but by Googling I see they are
Linux binary packages (for Debian and Mandrake?) for netCDF version
4.1.1.  It appears that the main feature of libnetcdfmm5 is inclusion
of the experimental netCDF-4 C++ library.

If you only need the netCDF-3 interfaces and are not trying to access
compressed data written with netCDF-4 or remote data on OPeNDAP
servers, you should be able to build the netCDF-3 library from source
with no other libraries, using configure arguments
"--disable-netcdf-4" and "--disable-dap".  If you need OPeNDAP access,
the only other library you need to install is libcurl.  If you also
need access to netCDF-4 compressed files, you will also have to
install the ZIP compression library and the HDF5 C library.
Instructions are here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/

--Russ

Ticket ID: QLH-492572