[netCDF #UDB-426902]: Segmentation fault using ncgen

Hi Doug,

Sorry to have taken so long to respond to your question ...
> I'm having some peculair behavior when trying to use ncgen (4.1.1) to
> read a complex CDL file.
>
> If I do "ncgen -k 3 -o Solar.nc Solar.cdl" I get a segmentation fault.
> If I copy one of the datasets from one variable to another
> (Solar-altered.cdl) then it compiles correctly. If I remove one value
> from the board_temperature variable (Solar-altered-del.cdl), then I get
> a segmentation fault.
>
> I've compiled ncgen from the current source. The segmentation fault is
> occurring at:
>
> at bindata.c:93
> 93 if(con->nctype == NC_FILLVALUE) {
>
> where con is NULL.
>
> I've tried 4.1.2-beta2 and I get
>
> ncgen: Solar.cdl line 468: Compound data must be enclosed in {..}
>
> I do have a UTF-8 character in the .cdl file (?). However, deleting it
> (Solar-ascii.cdl) doesn't seem to help

I've reproduced the problem you reported with ncgen in 4.1.1 and
4.1.2-beta2.  It appears that the problem was fixed (by Dennis
Heimbigner) in the current snapshot, which works fine with the
Solar.cdl you attached.  So you should be able to verify the fix in
the current daily snapshot:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/snapshot/netcdf-4-daily.tar.gz

or wait until 4.1.2-beta3 is released (planned for later this weak if
no untacipated difficulties are encountered) or 4.1.2 is released
(planned for a week after 4.1.2-beta3 if no one encounters
unanticipated problems with that release).

Thanks for reporting the problem!

--Russ

Ticket ID: UDB-426902
Department: Support netCDF