[netCDF #OSE-887102]: Problem reading HDFEOS5 file using NetCDF 4.1.1 OPeNDAP interface.

> Ed,
>
> I guess you can use "wget" to download the file directly.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wei Huang
> address@hidden
> VETS/CISL
> P.O. Box 3000 (1850 Table Mesa Dr.)
> Boulder, CO 80307-3000 USA
> (303) 497-8924
>

> On Aug 26, 2010, at 11:05 AM, Unidata netCDF Support wrote:
>

> >> We have encountered a problem reading HDFEOS5 files using the NetCDF
> >> 4.1.1 OPeNDAP interface through NCL.  These files are at the URL
> >> http://acdisc.gsfc.nasa.gov/opendap/HDF-EOS5/Aura_OMI_Level3/OMAEROe.003/2010/
> >> with names like OMI-Aura_L3-
> >> OMAEROe_2010m0712_v003-2010m0714t203639.he5.
> >>

> >> NetCDF gives the error "Name contains illegal characters", and
> >> indeed,
> >> when tracing through the code, we find that NC_check_name does not
> >> like a dimension name called "/HDFEOS/GRIDS/ColumnAmountAerosol/
> >> nWavelDiagnostic" because it contains the forward slash character.
> >> I am
> >> guessing this is actually a server side issue, but who needs to be
> >> notified of this problem?
> >>
> >> Using the "Get as NetCDF" option on the web interface to this file
> >> the
> >> dimension name gets mangled into
> >> "h5__HDFEOS_GRIDS_ColumnAmountAerosol_nWavelDiagnostic", so there
> >> must
> >> be code somewhere to make the names conform to NetCDF conventions.
> >>
> >> - Dave Brown
> >>

> > Howdy Dave!
> >
> > I will ask Dennis about the opendap question.
> >
> > As you note, downloading this as netcdf seems to get a file without
> > these weird names. Any chance we can get the original file?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ed

Howdy Dave!

Sorry it has taken so long to resolve this - we are a little buried in support
requests.

The latest netcdf daily snapshot can read this file, including the forward
slashes in the names, without problem.

Do we know if the server is using the C library of the netCDF-Java library?

Thanks!

Ed

Ticket ID: OSE-887102
Department: Support netCDF