[netCDF #SBY-332951]: Netcdf and Matlab: need ncdump

Peter,

> I am using Matlab 7.10  2010a for Mac OS X which has native Netcdf
> commands. These work well but unfortunately Mathworks did not include ncdump
> and I need to read the headers for using NCEP Reanalysis data.   Under the
> old scheme with USGS toolbox it was fine but no longer.
>
> There must be some code that does this but I have looked in vain.
> Learning to read Netcdf files with basic fread statements must be
> possible.
>
> For NCEP reanalysis data there must also be documentation somewhere for
> the offset/scale factor numbers I need, that are in the headers, but
> strangely I can'f find that either.

On Mac OS X, you can also use the fink system or the macports system
to install a recent version of netCDF that includes ncdump.  Either
macports or fink provides an easy way to install the binary library
and utilities without building from source.

However building from source on Mac OS X is also fairly quick, especially
if you don't need the a Fortran API, which is the case if you're only
after ncdump.  In that case you can just get the most recent source
distribution

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.gz

unpack it, and build and install it with these instructions:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Quick-Instructions.html

--Russ

Ticket ID: SBY-332951
Department: Support netCDF