[UDUNITS #GOK-141555]: UDUNITS 2 and future of RNetCDF

Pavel,

> I am the developer of the R contribution package RNetCDF
> (http://cran.r-project.org/). The R core team reported me that there is
> a problem in using the deprecated UDUNITS 1 library. I will anyway need
> to update my package to add some NetCDF 4 functionality.
>
> Regarding UDUNITS, I'm quite not sure, how to proceed. In fact, I only
> need the calendar functions (e.g., "UNIT since 99-99-9999 99:99:99") and
> support of the CF conventions.
>
> What do you recommend? Migration to UDUNITS 2 or using anothter calendar
> package as stated on the UDUNITS webpage? If possible, the functions
> "utcal.nc" and "utinvcal.nc" in my package (manual at
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/RNetCDF/RNetCDF.pdf should work
> the same in a new version.
>
> I would be very happy to hear your opinion or get some hints how to
> proceed futher.

You could port your code to use the UDUNITS-2 package. It's capabilities are a
superset of the UDUNITS-1 package, so porting shouldn't be difficult.

If you're *only* using the UDUNITS package for its calendaring support, then
I'd recommend using another package. I think the netCDF-4 package uses the
calendaring system of the CDAT package. I've CC'ed this reply to the netCDF
group in case they have something to add.

> Best Regards,
> Pavel
>
> --
>
> Pavel Michna (PhD Student)                  Tel:     +41 (0)31 631 85 42
> Climatology and Meteorology (KLIMET)        Fax:     +41 (0)31 631 85 11
> Institute of Geography                      E-Mail: address@hidden
> University of Bern
> Hallerstrasse 12
> CH-3012 Bern/Switzerland