[netCDF #RTE-131011]: Build failure netCDF 4.1.1 on AIX

> Hmmm, that wasn't a great success
>
> Where netcdf-4.1.2-beta1 fails only the two tests I mentioned,
> netcdf-4.1.2-beta2-snapshot2010111112 fails 23, most of them with "Illegal
> Instruction". Here is the output from the first failed test:
>
> *** Testing netCDF-3 Fortran 77 API.
> /bin/sh: 234416 Illegal instruction
> FAIL: nf_test
>
> and here's the end of the output

> 23 of 25 tests failed
> Please report to address@hidden
> make[2]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/gpfs_hpcf/filesets/hpcf/scratch/hadfield/netcdf/netcdf-4.1.2-beta2-snapshot2010111112/nf_test'
> make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/gpfs_hpcf/filesets/hpcf/scratch/hadfield/netcdf/netcdf-4.1.2-beta2-snapshot2010111112/nf_test'
> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

Oops, that's the trouble with development snapshots, they're usually not ready
for release.
If you really want to get rid of the two "make check" errors you saw with
4.1.2-beta1, you
could go into the public svn trees for netCDF and try revision 442 from Sept
22, but I
can't guarantee that wouldn't have other AIX errors.  We generally don't test
on lots of
platforms until we're very close to release ...

  http://svn.unidata.ucar.edu/repos/netcdf/trunk/

--Russ

> Mark,
>
> > As I reported in the message earlier today, HDF5 (1.8.5-patch1) was
> > broken, as you suggested. I rebuilt it with --disable-shared and now
> > it passes "make check" with no failures.
> >
> > Then I rebuilt netCDF 4.1.2-beta1 and linked it with the new HDF5. It
> > passes all tests except these 2:
> >
> > *** Testing netCDF-4 groups from Fortran 90.
> > Error: NetCDF: Numeric conversion not representable
> > STOP 2
> > FAIL: f90tst_grps
> > *** Testing definition of netCDF-4 vars from Fortran 90.
> > Error: NetCDF: Numeric conversion not representable
> > STOP 2
> > FAIL: f90tst_vars3
> >
> > These are advanced features that I don't use yet, so I will probably
> > install anyway, but do you have any idea what they're about?
>
> Yes, I believe Ed fixed these in a change to libsrc4/nc4var.c, checked
> in with the comment
>
> fixed bug with nf90_inquire_variable returning range error because
> of chunksizes for a contiguous variable
>
> The fix was after 4.1.2-beta1, so currently it's only available in the
> daily snapshot until the next beta release (or 4.1.2 release
> candidate).  If you want it you can get it from
>
> ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/snapshot/netcdf-4-daily.tar.gz
>
> --Russ
>
> Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
> address@hidden                      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
>

> Ticket Details
> Ticket ID: RTE-131011
> Department: Support netCDF

> NIWA is the trading name of the National Institute of Water & Atmospheric
> Research Ltd.

Ticket ID: RTE-131011
Department: Support netCDF