[netCDF #OKP-889771]: make check fail

> Thank you for your help.
> Enclosed is the configure list, make check list and config.log files.

The output from configure looks OK, and I see you are just building
the netCDF-3 library and utilities from the version 4.1.1 release,
because configure didn't find an HDF5 library installed.  That's OK,
and should work just as well as using the --disable-netcdf-4 option
to the configure script.

The configure output shows you are using /usr/bin/cc for a C compiler,
/home/zoom/sunstudio12.1/bin/CC for a C++ compiler, and
/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/072/bin/intel64/ifort for your Fortran compiler.

Do you know that cc works OK with ifort?  Other ifort users have
reported using icc with ifort instead, but cc may work with ifort.
We don't have an HPUX system on which to test that combination.

However the failure you report occurs just using the C interface, so
it shouldn't matter what Fortran compiler was used:

  make  check-TESTS
  make[2]: Entering directory `/home/zoom/netcdf-4.1.1/libsrc'
  trying again
  FAIL: t_nc

This could happen if you don't have write permission in the libsrc
directory when you run "make check".  Otherwise, I can't tell what
the error is.  Could you edit the file libsrc/t_nc.c around line 367
to insert a statement that will report the actual error?  You need to
change

        if(ret != NC_NOERR) {
                (void) fprintf(stderr, "trying again\n");
                ret = nc__create(fname,NC_CLOBBER, initialsz, &chunksz, &id);
        }

by inserting one statement, to look like this instead:

        if(ret != NC_NOERR) {
                (void) fprintf(stderr, "trying again\n");
                ret = nc__create(fname,NC_CLOBBER, initialsz, &chunksz, &id);
                printf("%s\n", nc_strerror(ret));
        }

Then if it's still not clear what the problem is, please send the error
output and we'll see if we can diagnose what the problem is.

--Russ

> I am OK after "make distclean" and netcdf-4-1-1 will installed?
>
> I appreciate your help.
>
> Regards,
> zoom
> > Please send the complete output of configure, make check,
> > and the config.log file, as described here:
> >

> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Reporting-Problems.html
> >
> > It should work to run "make distclean" and then build again from
> > scratch, but unfortunately netCDF 4.1.1 had a problem with removing
> > documentation files it should not have removed when "make distclean"
> > is run.  That means you may have to unpack the distribution again
> > and start from scratch.  Sorry about that ...
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --Russ
> >
> > Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
> > address@hidden                      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: OKP-889771
> > Department: Support netCDF