[netCDF #MDD-957280]: question about NetCDF 4 Classic

Hi Hoop,

> For years, we've struggled in our NetCDF-3 files with the issue
> of putting more space in the header to avoid file rewriting when
> we augment metadata.  I seem to recall, from last year's NetCDF-4
> seminars, that this was no longer an issue in NetCDF-4, as the "header"
> was distributed throughout the file.  My team lead asked me if this
> was true for NetCDF-4 Classic.  I would presume it is, since it's all
> HDF5 on disk, right?

Yes, that's exactly right.  You should notice it takes essentially no
extra time to add new variables, dimensions, or attributes to an existing
netCDF-4 classic model file, no matter how large it is.

--Russ

Ticket ID: MDD-957280
Department: Support netCDF