[netCDF #VTK-319454]: Contribution to software for Manipulating or Displaying NetCDF Data

Hi Lionel,

> Would you include in your web page "Software for Manipulating or
> Displaying NetCDF Data" a reference to a library I developed: NetCDF95?

Done.

> NetCDF95 is a Fortran interface to the NetCDF library. Compared to the
> Fortran 90 NetCDF interface, the NetCDF95 interface is meant to be
> easier to use and more secure.
>
> This is freely available software. The web page for this software is:
>
> http://web.lmd.jussieu.fr/~lglmd/NetCDF95
>
> I also hope the ideas in NetCDF95 can be of interest to the developers
> of the Fortran 90 NetCDF interface.

Yes, your API seems better for Fortran programmers who want to follow
the good programming practice recommended by Metcalf, Reid, and Cohen
to not write functions with side effects.  As they point out, side effects
in functions may result in a "severe impediment to optimization on a
parallel processor ...".  Thanks for contributing your library and for
pointing out this better approach as well as your use of Fortran pointers
for returning just the dimension IDs needed, rather than requiring
declaration of an array in the calling routine large enough for the maximum
number of dimensions.  We will consider using this style of API for the
next version of the Fortran-2003 API.

--Russ

Ticket ID: VTK-319454
Department: Support netCDF