[netCDF #WWE-913739]: Problem in configuration of netCDF-4.1.1 in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Linux system

> [...]
> checking whether a number of chunks for the default per-variable cache was
> specified... 10
> checking whether a default file cache size for HDF5 was specified...
> 4194304
> checking whether a default file cache maximum number of elements for HDF5
> was specified... 1009
> checking whether a default cache preemption for HDF5 was specified... 0.75
> checking whether netCDF-4 logging is enabled... no
> checking whether a path for curl-config was specified... no
> checking whether a location for curl installation was specified... no
> configure: checking whether a location for curl-config is in PATH... no
> checking whether DAP client is to be built... no
> checking whether dap remote testing should be enabled (default on)... no
> checking whether the time-consuming dap tests should be enabled (default
> off)... no
> checking whether a location for liboc was specified... no
> checking whether netCDF extra tests should be run (developers only)... no
> checking whether Fortran compiler(s) should be tested during configure...
> yes
> checking whether FFIO will be used... no
> checking whether to skip C++, F77, or F90 APIs if compiler is broken... yes
> checking whether only the C library is desired... no
> checking whether examples should be built... yes
> checking whether F77 API is desired... yes
> checking whether any Fortran API is desired... yes
> checking whether F90 API is desired... yes
> checking whether fortran type sizes should be checked... yes
> checking whether C API is desired... yes
> checking where to get netCDF C-only library for separate fortran
> libraries...
> checking whether CXX API is desired... yes
> checking whether v2 netCDF API should be built... yes
> checking whether the ncgen/ncdump should be built... yes
> checking whether large file (> 2GB) tests should be run... no
> checking whether benchmaks should be run (experimental)... no
> checking whether extreme numbers should be used in tests... yes
> checking where to put large temp files if large file tests are run... .
> checking whether a win32 DLL is desired... no
> checking whether separate fortran libs are desired... no
> configure: finding C compiler
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
> checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
> checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
> configure: finding Fortran compiler (will not be used if Fortran API is not
> desired)
> checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran compiler... no
> checking whether ifort accepts -g... no
> checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
> checking whether ifort accepts -g... no
> configure: setting up Fortran 90
> checking for Fortran flag to compile .f90 files... unknown
> configure: error: Fortran could not compile .f90 files

To figure out what is wrong with your fortran compiler, search for the above
error message in the file config.log. You will find the ifort command it
attempted, and the error messages that explain why ifort failed to work. This
problem (whatever it is) must be fixed if you wish to build the Fortran APIs.

> Succesively, I have executed the following configure script:
>
> $ ./configure --prefix=/home/jesc/desktop/CMAQ --disable-fortran
>
> However, this run also failed with the following results (the last 4
> lines):
>
> configure: WARNING: No F77 compiler found. F77 API will not be built.
> checking for Fortran flag to compile .f90 files... unknown
> configure: error: Fortran could not compile .f90 files
> configure: error: ./configure failed for libcf
>
> Could you teach me how I should deal with this situation?

Sorry, try --disable-f77 --disable-f90

Or set FC='' before running configure:

FC= ./configure --prefix=/home/jesc/desktop/CMAQ --disable-dap
--disable-netcdf-4

You should also disable C++ if you are not going to use it, by setting CXX to
'', or using --disable-cxx.

Thanks,

Ed

Ticket ID: WWE-913739