[netCDF #QUN-641037]: dimension ID ordering assumptions

Charlie,

> > So ncgen or DAP created the
> > strange (non-consecutive) dimension IDs.
>
> Oops, that was imprecise. What I meant to say is that
> ncks created the file with non-consecutive dimension IDs and
> that I think ncks uses the standard netCDF APIs.
> It's just that ncgen created the original file (which
> Russ uploaded to the Unidata DAP server), and ncks used
> the netCDF library DAP-implementation to obtain the
> hyperslab from Unidata and create the file in question.
> Of course it's possible that NCO is, inadvertently,
> doing something non-standard and, if so, I will try to fix that.

We're trying to isolate the bug now between the opendap client and the
netCDF-4 library.  I need to build nco-4.0.4 and try your ncks command
on a local file to do that.

I'm currently having some basic problem building nco-4.0.4 on a Solaris
system, not even getting past configure.

I have the netCDF-4 libraries and include files installed under
/usr/local/ and the HDF5 libraries and include files installed
under /share/ed/local/buddy.  I'm invoking configure with

  ./configure CC=c99 CXX=CC --enable-debug-symbols
HDF5_LIB_DIR=/share/ed/local/buddy/lib UDUNITS2_PATH=/usr/local
NETCDF_INC=/usr/local/include NETCDF_LIB=/usr/local/lib

but configure can't find the hdf5 library:

  checking for netcdf.h... yes
  #################################
  #  Test for netCDF4 support     #
  #################################
  DEBUG: After netCDF4 section LIBS =
  DEBUG: After netCDF4 section header_defines_nc_chunked =
  configure: Checking default compiler flags
  checking for nc_open in -lnetcdf... no
  configure: Bad news: Simple program does not compile and link to libnetcdf.a
with default compiler flags. Will try with 64-bit ABI flags...
  checking for nc_close in -lnetcdf... no
  ERROR: Unable to compile and link executable with "libnetcdf.a" with
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
  1. If netCDF is not installed, then download and install it:
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf
  2. If netCDF is installed correctly, set NETCDF_LIB to directory with
libnetcdf.a
  3. If configure fails here with NETCDF_LIB set correctly, try changing CC
and/or CFLAGS until compilation and linking to libnetcdf.a works
  Currently CC="c99" and CFLAGS="-g" do not work with libnetcdf.a
  Set environment variables CC and CFLAGS to working values and then re-run
./configure
  configure: error: Mandatory netCDF link test failed

The config.log file shows the test program being built with

  configure:17017: checking for nc_open in -lnetcdf
  configure:17042: c99 -o conftest -g -I/usr/local/include   -L/usr/local/lib
conftest.c -lnetcdf   >&5

but that doesn't find the HDF5 libraries, whose location is specified
with HDF5_LIB_DIR=/share/ed/local/buddy/lib on the configure line.

Is there a better way to tell configure where to look for the hdf5
libraries than the HDF5_LIB_DIR=... argument to configure?

If there's no simple answer, I'll switch to Linux to try to debug
this problem and see if nco-4.0.4 builds for me there ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: QUN-641037
Department: Support netCDF