[netCDF #FSI-652508]: netcdf-4 with hdf5 and zlib not compiling

Ed wrote:
> Are you both sure that you tried with netCDF built with --enable-netcdf-4 and
> --with-hdf5=/somewhere?

Bingo, that was my problem.  With 4.1.1 and later releases, you only need to use
--with-hdf5=/somewhere, but for earliere releases such as 4.0 or 4.0.1, you had
also explicitly specify --enable-netcdf-4.

I built with both 4.0 and 4.0.1  --with-hdf5=/share/stdinstall/local/buddy and
all
the tests passed, so I assumed it used HDF5.  But looking at the resulting
ncdump
executables with "ldd" shows the hdf5 library wasn't actually used:

  $ ldd /foo/russ/installs/nc401/bin/ncdump
    libm.so.2 =>         /lib/libm.so.2
    libc.so.1 =>         /lib/libc.so.1

whereas if it had been built with libhdf5, it would show a much longer list
of libraries:

  $ ldd /usr/local/bin/ncdump
    libhdf5_hl.so.6 =>   /upc/share/stdinstall/local/buddy/lib/libhdf5_hl.so.6
    libhdf5.so.6 =>      /upc/share/stdinstall/local/buddy/lib/libhdf5.so.6
    libm.so.2 =>         /lib/libm.so.2
    libz.so =>   /upc/share/stdinstall/local/buddy/lib/libz.so

So I think you could try ldd or the equivalent on your system, and it would
show
the ncdump you're using is not built with netCDF-4 support and use of libhdf5
that's needed to provide the ability to open netCDF-4 files, such as you
are trying to open.

--Russ

Ticket ID: FSI-652508
Department: Support netCDF