[netCDF #WQU-559901]: ncgen limitation

Hi Olivier,

> I am afraid I discover a limitation using ncgen.
> It seems that ncgen does not support the variable name "VARIABLES".
>
> When applied to the attached cdl files, ncgen answer an error when one
> variable name is "VARIABLES".
>
> ncgen -o foo.cdf ncgen_bug_example.cdl
> ncgen: ncgen_bug_example.cdl line 13: syntax error

Yes, there were several reserved tokens in CDL, including
"dimensions", "variables", "data", "byte", "char", "short", "int",
"float", "double", "int64", and "unsigned", that could not be used for
names.  The reason was that we thought if these names were allowed,
the CDL notation would contain conflicts and ambiguities that would
make it be too difficult to parse.

However, it now appears that there is a relatively simple fix for the
CDL grammar that will permit these tokens as names.  We are testing
the fix now, and it should be available soon in a snapshot release or
in the upcoming 4.1.2 release.

> Anyway many thanks for your netcdf amazing tools.

Thank you for reporting the problem!

--Russ

Ticket ID: WQU-559901
Department: Support netCDF