[netCDF #QHY-392919]: install netCDF libraries on MacOX

Hi Irina,

> I am trying to install netCDF libraries on MacOS X 10.6.3. I need to
> install them in order to compile ncdf package for the R program. I am
> not good with computing, so I am struggling quite a bit, I was wondering
> if there is any details step by step procedure that I can follow.

The ncdf package doesn't require the netCDF Fortran interfaces or any
netCDF-4 features, so building it from source is quite easy if you
disable these features when you run the configure script,

In short,

 1.  Download the latest release, netCDF-4.1.1, from

      ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.gz

 2.  Unpack it into a directory where you will build it from source.

 3.  Make sure you have a C compiler and developer tools such as
     "make".  If not, you will need to download and install the free
     Apple Developer Tools from Apple's Xcode site:

      http://developer.apple.com/technologies/xcode.html

 4.  Just run these three commands:

      $ ./configure --disable-fortran --disable-netcdf-4
      $ make check
      $ sudo make install

     and netCDF will be installed in the /usr/local directory.

--Russ

Ticket ID: QHY-392919
Department: Support netCDF