[netCDF #HQJ-659259]: Error running ./configure when trying to install netCDF 3.6.3

Chrissy,

> Thanks for your quick reply!  I combed through the error log and found
> the following things.  I'm not sure if any of these are "bad" except the
> last one, which caused ./configure to fail.  I've attached the entire
> config.log file in case I missed something.

Only the last one is causing the problem.

> To answer your other question, I'm using an older version of netCDF
> because I'm going to use it in conjunction with ROMS (Regional Ocean
> Modeling System) and I wasn't sure if a newer version would work.  Although,
> if it helps eliminate the problems I'm currently having, I'll gladly use the
> newer one!

New netCDF releases are supposed to support existing data and existing programs
without requiring any conversion of data or changes to existing programs.  So
if you build netCDF-4.1.1 (the latest released version) using the configure
options --disable-netcdf-4 and --disable-dap, the result will only support
netCDF-3 formats and data model, and it should work fine with ROMS.

However, you should also be able to build from netCDF-3.6.3, although it will
have a few bugs that have been fixed in later releases.

> 7)
> configure:23854: checking if Fortran "byte" is C "signed char"
> configure:23864: cc -c  -g -O2 conftest.c
> conftest.c: In function 'sub_':
> conftest.c:4: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
> function 'exit'
> configure:23867: $? = 0
> configure:23870: gfortran -O3 -c conftestf.f
> configure:23873: $? = 0
> configure:23876: gfortran -o conftest -O3  conftestf.o conftest.o
> ld: warning: in conftetest.o, file was built for unsupported file format
> which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
> Undefined symbols:
> "_sub_", referenced from:
> _MAIN__ in conftestf.o
> ld: symbol(s) not found
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> configure:23879: $? = 1
> configure:23902: error: Could not link conftestf.o and conftest.o

You are using /usr/bin/cc for the C compiler (Apple build from gcc 4.2.1),
but GNU Fortran 4.3.0 from 2007 as the Fortran compiler.  I think that is
the problem, that you need compatible versions of gfortran and gcc, because
gfortran is just a front-end to gcc.  If you put /usr/local/bin in front of
/usr/bin in your path, the version of gcc found there would be compatible
with the gfortran found there and may work.

Alternatively, you could get a more up-to-date gfortran and matching gcc
from a site such as http://hpc.sourceforge.net/, which has binaries that
are easy to install.  For example, if you are using Snow Leopard, you could
install the binary package gcc-snwleo-intel-bin.tar.gz which has both gcc
and a matching gfortran, installed according to the instructions given there:

  ... Download my binaries, and cd to the download folder. Then gunzip
  gcc-bin.tar.gz (if your browser didn't do so already) and sudo tar -xvf
  gcc-bin.tar -C /. It installs everything in /usr/local. ...

That site also says you need the latest version of Apple's Developer Tools
installed.

I've verified that combination builds from either netcdf-3.6.3 or
netcdf-4.1.1.

--Russ

Ticket ID: HQJ-659259
Department: Support netCDF